Crispy Potato Chip-Crusted Fish Fillets
What could be popular with kids than potato chips for dinner? How about corn flakes? In crust your fish in these magical crusts and you will become a dinner superhero! This is a delicious option that you can bake or air-fry. Gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, keto, paleo, Atkins, Mediterranean, DASH, and kid-friendly.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 pounds white fish fillets such as cod or haddock
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup "potato" chips Crushed. You can use normal potato chips or really any other kind of crispy chip that strikes your fancy, even corn flakes should work. We avoid russet potato and corn based products, so we use these lentil-based chips. Delicious!
- 3/4 cup panko Japanese bread crumbs. Gluten-free. Substitute with a low-carb version for keto.
- 3/4 cup "mayonnaise" We use this avocado oil mayo substitute. You can use normal mayo, too. I have not tried it, but you should be able to substitute for an simple oil, too. If you do this, be sure to use one with a high smoke point (avocado oil (refined), almond oil, corn oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil, peanut oil, safflower oil, sesame oil and sunflower oil)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice We avoid sulfates, so we use this lemon juice.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Pat the fish fillets dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, and black pepper thoroughly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes while preparing and baking the fish.
- Mix garlic powder, paprika, crushed chips, and breadcrumbs together in a shallow bowl. Put the beaten egg in a separate shallow bowl.
- Dip a fish fillet into the beaten egg on both sides, and shake off the excess. Dip it in the chip mixture on both sides and again shake off the extra. Place the fillet on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve immediately with the lemon-garlic aioli (recipe) on the side.