Easy Vegan Meatballs in Tomato Marinara Sauce
Flavorful vegan meatballs with spaghetti and tomato marinara with Italian flavors. These are super easy meatless meatballs are are budget-friendly. Gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, keto, paleo, Whole30, vegetarian, vegan.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 black beans 15 oz-can, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup breadcrumbs use gluten-free bread, if needed
- 1½ Tbsp Worcestershire sauce vegan and gluten-free options exist, can substitute low-sodium soya sauce if needed.
- 2 Tsp tomato paste
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 onion
- 2 small handful fresh basil
- ½ tsp fine salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
Tomato Marinara Sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 2-4 garlic cloves chopped or finely sliced
- 2 15 oz-can tomato sauce
- 2 handful fresh basil
- 2 Tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place black beans in food processor with onion, seeds, basil, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper. Pulse to combine until a textured dough forms (Don’t overmix, you don’t want a puree’).
- Transfer mix to a bowl, add breadcrumbs and mix all the ingredients with your hands.
- Form small meatballs, about 18-20 pieces, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake them for 20 minutes at 360F.
Tomato Marinara Sauce
- Simultaneously in a medium skillet/pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic cloves for 3 minutes, then stir in the tomato sauce and cook for 5 minutes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper according to your taste.
- Reduce the heat and cook the sauce for a further 10 minutes.
- When the meatballs are baked and crispy, add them to the tomato sauce and stir gently to coat.
- Simultaneously, cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water. Salt water, if you prefer.
- Drain spaghetti and stir in the skillet along with tomato sauce, vegan meatballs and shredded basil leaves.
- Place pasta, sauce, with meatballs on plate. Top with lightly drizzling of extra virgin olive oil and some fresh basil.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 615mg | Potassium: 602mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 64IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 5mg