Gomae sometimes also spelled Gomaae or Gomae is a traditional Japanese side dish, salad. The key ingredients of this dish is the sesame dressing and vegetables. You probably saw it in many Japanese restaurant menus. Today we will cook the most popular version of Gomae with spinach. Even spinach haters will love this salad. Naturally gluten free and kosher.
Gomae: Japanese Sesame Spinach
- 1 bag of ready-to-eat spinach approx. 200 g
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp of sake can substitute with 1/2 tsp of cooking sherry
- 1/2 tsp of mirin can substitute with 1/2 tsp of cooking sherry
- 3 tbsp roasted white sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- Heat a skillet to low heat. Toast the sesame seeds by placing them into the skillet. When a few of the sesame seeds begin to pop, remove from the heat.
- Grind the sesame seeds using a mortar and pestle. If you don’t have access to a motor and pestle, you can grind them in a food processor.
- In a small bowl, combine the sesame seeds, soy sauce, sugar, sake and mirin. Mix well.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil add a pinch of salt.
- Add spinach to boiling water and cook for one minute. Drain and soak with cold water until cooled.
- Drain the spinach and make sure to remove as much water as possible. Collect the spinach and cut into 4 pieces (see picture above).
- Toss the spinach in the sesame dressing.